Go to Content Area

Banking ServicesCommon Reporting Standard

Last updated:2019/09/26 Print

What is a self-certification form?

A self-certification form is a formal statement concerning a customer's tax residency.
Financial institutions can use the self-certification forms provided by customers to confirm the customers' tax residency.
Financial institutions use three types of self-certification form, which are intended for use by individuals (CRS-I), entities (CRS-E), and controlling persons (CRS-CP).

Since I am a resident of the ROC, why must I provide information in accordance with the "common reporting standards"?

In accordance with the "Regulations Governing the Standards on Reporting and Due Diligence for Financial Institutions" and "Operating Regulations for Tax Information Exchange under Tax Treaties," domestic financial institutions have the legal responsibility to confirm customers' tax residency, including the tax residency of domestic residents.

What types of account information must financial institutions provide to the taxing authority?

Account information: Information must be provided includes identification information concerning the account holder, including the account holder's name, address, date of birth, place of birth, and tax identification number.
Financial account information: Information that must be reported includes the account holder's total annual income (including interest, dividends, other income, and total transaction gains) and the account holder's year-end balance or value.

What countries/areas participating the common reporting standards? What countries/areas exchange information with the ROC?

A complete list of participating countries and the dates on which they began exchanging information, etc. has been posted on the common reporting standards website of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD): http://www.oecd.org/tax/automatic-exchange/crs-implementation-and-assistance/crs-by-jurisdiction/
You can also check the list of names on the Ministry of Finance's website: https://www.mof.gov.tw/Detail/Index?nodeid=1529&pid=75667

What is the country or area of tax residency/tax residents?

The country or area of tax residency/tax residents refers to the country/area in which individuals or entities have tax residency status.
Individual countries/areas have their own specific regulations defining tax residency. Please obtain the views of a professional tax consultant or browse the OECD website: http://www.oecd.org/tax/automatic-exchange/crs-implementation-and-assistance/tax-residency/#d.en.347760

What is a tax identification number (TIN)?

A tax identification number (TIN) refers to a number used to identify individuals or entities for tax purposes, or an identifying code with an equivalent function.

Certain participating countries do not issue TINs. However, these participating countries typically use other numbers or identifying codes with an equivalent identifying function. Examples of these numbers and codes include social security numbers/insurance numbers, citizen/individual ID/service codes/numbers, resident registration numbers, and commercial/company registration codes/numbers.

For more detailed information concerning tax identification numbers, please visit the OECD's automatic data exchange information website: